Saturday, January 2, 2010

Wes is a Lousy New Years Eve Date

I was interrupted with my catch-up posts on the 31st. Wes came home and told me he was certain that he was dying. He said he had a sharp pain all of a sudden in his lower back. After a minute I could clearly see it wasn't going to subside and we went to the emergency room.

On the way there (between Wes yelling at me to go faster, don't hit the bumps and not to stop at the stop signs), I remembered that last week he had a pain in his lower back. This thought brought me back to just over twelve years ago. Kidney Stones...that was the night he ate home made chicken noodle soup for the first and last time. Super! We had our favorite Olive Garden salmon tonight- so much for ever eating salmon again!!!

It was really sad- he was in so much pain. It took four doses of narcotic to even get him a little bit comfortable so they could do a catscan. After the third dose the nurse announced she was bringing another dose. Wes said don't bring me that shit bring me the good stuff. I'm still wondering what the good stuff is. He said such pretty words!

Even luckier- I knew a few people in the ER- most were there because alcohol makes people do stupid things. I wonder how many people now think Wes was just another New Years moron...

Pain under control, we went home around midnight- He was so drugged I thought for sure he was going to ask that we stop for Doritos! Instead he critiqued my driving the whole way home. We got the littles to bed and I was just getting to sleep when the pain hit him again. Back to the ER- go faster, don't hit the bumps, just run over the people in the road.

After three more hours in a very uncomfortable chair in the ER- no sleep in over 27 hours for myself, Wes gave in to being admitted to the hospital. Great! This moved me to a miserably uncomfortable foam sofa without arms to rest your head on. I tried to talk him into moving to the maternity ward and getting an epidural. At least the maternity ward has recliners for spouses. This would have been the preferred if we had to be at the hospital. The nurse at least brought me a few of those really warm blankets from the warmer to try and help me sleep too.

The next morning, Wes was feeling lots better- drugged of course. Ready to go home. Once again the ever loving husband he is- thinking he's hysterically funny says to me- "Well you asked for a night away from the kids with just me- isn't that what you got?"

HA HA HA! Very funny! This wasn't exactly what I'd had in mind when I said a night out alone. It took us both almost 24 hours to recover and feel human again.

Hope your holiday was less eventful than ours! Happy New Year Everyone!!!!

2 comments:

  1. So glad Wes is doing better now. I bet he would have preferred a better New Year's Eve himself. Tell the kids we have won 3 different candy molds now, I have bids in on a couple more that have a few more days on them yet. That will give them some to choose from. I will try and find the box mine are in before next Christmas. I always wanted to do a whole tree full of them, but never did. Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kari...never tell Wes, but I am totally laughing at this post! Why is it that a man has SOOOOO much more pain that a woman? I will remember the next time I am laying in a hospital bed to request the good shit :) He's so dang funny!!! Your new house is beautiful and it was so fun to come and see it. Thanks for the tour ;) It was great to see you guys! Hope your 2010 is a great one (with no kidney stones!!!)

    ReplyDelete