Monday, November 11, 2013

We Love Our Veterans

I just wanted to take a few minutes today to give my thanks to all of the Veterans on this very special day.  Growing up, I was taught to have a great respect for those who serve by my Mother.  Her Dad, my Grandpa McKoy, served in the Navy as a young man. I had the privilege of listening to him speak of his Navy years at a fireside in Tucker Georgia in 1986 while we were visiting.  It is an opportunity I am truly grateful for today. He told stories about his service that I had never heard before.  He was a very brave young man.

My Grandpa "Mac" McKoy

As a teenager, I remember my Uncle Lynden (Clyph) going off to basic training for the Air Force.  I recall my Aunt Sue spending a lot of time with us then, but like a typical teenager I did not realize the impact that this had on her.  My Aunt and Uncle lived in some really cool places while he was in the Air Force.  I always thought it was a really neat thing. I never once thought of the great sacrifice that they made as a family for him to be able to serve our great country. As neat as it would've been to live in foreign lands and warm beautiful places like Hawaii, I'm sure that they missed their extended families very much.

Uncle "Clyph" and Aunt Sue
 
I have always known that our Servicemen and Women are the most valuable asset that this great country has.  These amazing people sacrifice all that they have to provide the many freedoms to you and I that make this country so special.  They are, and have been our protectors. They are our ancestors, our spouses, our brothers and sisters, our friends.  They sacrifice "that others may live".  It takes a really special person to make these sacrifices.  They are brave, selfless, loyal, strong and are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for you and I.  Their families make these sacrifices right along with them. 
 
I have had the opportunity to get to know some of these really special people this last year.  I love and admire each one of them.  I was honored to spend time with a Veteran this last summer.  Whenever he proudly stated that he was a Veteran, my heart too swelled with gratitude and pride. He is an amazing young man.  It's hard having him deployed.  Seeing the sacrifices that he made to go and serve this country amazes me.  He is brave. He is strong. He is my hero.
 
Our Hero here at the Pierson Home
 
Another young man in his unit is from our hometown.  He is my hero too.  I have had the honor of getting to know his new bride since he has been deployed and I am proud to say that she is one of my very best friends.  She is a rock.  She is every bit as brave as he is.  It's already hard enough to be married, but you should try to be married, have your spouse deploy, go to school, have a baby and be far from your loved ones all at the same time!  She is an amazing support to her husband.  She's always planning her next package to send to him. She wakes at the crack of dawn to chat online with him and then stays up late to do it again. I know it's not easy for her...BUT...she always has a smile on her face.  She loves him very much and it is very apparent.  Seeing the sacrifices that she makes to allow him to serve this country are very humbling to me. I'm not certain that I would have been as brave as she is when I was her age. I feel guilty sometimes commiserating with her over Ty.  Her sacrifice is so much greater than mine; but she gets what it's like. I hope that I understand a fraction of what she's going through and that I am a good support to her. I would fly to the moon and back if I thought it would help her in some way.
 
Aren't they adorable? (I stole this from her FB page)
 
Have you really considered the sacrifices that our heroes and their families make for us?  This is just a short list that has been on my mind lately:
 
The pay isn't exactly the greatest.
 
There are lonely nights of heartache.
 
They miss out on important life events such as the birth of a child.
 
They lose loved ones while in the service, relationships fail due to lack of support. 
 
Some are injured, some lose limbs. Some lose friends that work side by side with them each day.
 
Some see things that people should not ever have to see.
 
Some pay the ultimate price.
 
Why do they do this?  LOVE FOR OTHERS. HONOR. COURAGE.
 
Ty shared this with me before he left.  It says it all
 
 
 
To all the Veterans past and present and their families and loved ones:
 
This family loves and appreciates all that you have done for us.  There is no substitute for your courage.  We will never be able to repay you.  We honor you and your sacrifices on this day.
 
May we never forget.

1 comment: